Source: Luna Technologies, a Division of Luna Innovations Incorporated
Luna's shape sensing optical fiber knows its own position in 3D space at every discrete point along its length and can be used to track the exact position of an object to which it is attached.
Luna's exclusive shape sensing technology can track the position (location) of an optical fiber along its entire length. This "smart fiber" is minimally intrusive, virtually weightless, and can be used to monitor the dynamic 3D shape of a structure to which it conforms. It can also be embedded or attached to a surface to monitor the dynamic 3D shape independent of temperature or load from the environment.
This enabling technology for determining the dynamic shape of an object, including long, flexible bodies, has applications in:
- The medical field enabling localization of minimally invasive surgical (MIS) devices and instruments inserted inside the human body for navigation in surgical procedures.
- Ocean surveillance situations such as military security using static and towed sonar, or for tracking of search and rescue robots.
- The industrial environment for direct position monitoring in manufacturing and assembly.
- The sports and gaming industry for motion capture and virtual reality.
- Aerospace for deployable structures such as large antennas, sunshields and solar sails and morphing wings for shape modification of aircraft wings during flight.
- Energy, to measure such parameters as temperature inside gas turbines that create power, as well as measure the shape of the blade on wind turbines for real-time control.
Click Here To Download:
Video: Shape Sensing Technology / 3D Shape Sensing Demonstration
Tech Brief: NASA-Inspired Shape-Sensing Fibers Enable Minimally Invasive Surgery